In This article learn about types of maize (Maize grain types) it is most important topic for IFFCO, NSC, CCI, AFO, JRF, BHU, Pre-PG, Agriculture Supervisor, etc. All Agriculture competitive exams.
1. Flint Corn (Zea mays indurata)
- Entire outer portion of kernel is hard starch.
- Commonly cultivated in India.
- Because flint corn has a very low water content,
- it is more resistant to freezing than other vegetables.
2. Dent Corn (Zea maya indentata)
- Dent corn, also known as yellow dent corn, Reid’s yellow dent corn, white dent corn is a type of field corn with high soft starch content.
- It received its name because of the small indentation, or “dent”, at the crown of each kernel on a ripe ear of corn.
- About 95 % of Production in the USA is dent corn.
3. Sweet Corn (Zea mays saccharata)
- also called sweetcorn, sugar corn and pole corn.
- Sweet corn is the result of a naturally occurring recessive mutation in the genes which control conversion of sugar to starch inside the endosperm of the corn kernel.
- Sweetest among all.
4. Flour Corn (Zea mays amylacea)
- Kernel is largely composed of soft starch with little or no hard starch.
- It is primarily used to make corn flour.
5. Popcorn (Zea mays everta)
- Its kernel is small and extreme form of flint corn.
- When heated to 170 °C,
- The grain swells and burst and turning inside out.
6. Waxy Corn (Zea mays ceretina)
- Due to waxy appearance of the kernel. it is called as waxy corn.
- Waxy corn or glutinous corn is a type of field corn characterized by its sticky texture when cooked as a result of larger amounts of amylopectin.
7. Pod Corn (Zea mays zunicata)
- Pod corn or wild maize is a variety of maize.
- Pod corn is not a wild ancestor of maize, but a mutant that forms leaves around each kernel.
- Pod corn forms glumes around each kernel which is caused by a mutation at the Tunicate locus. Because of its bizarre appearance, Pod Corn has had a religious significance to certain Native American Tribes.
- Husked primitive type.
- Agriculture Courses14 products
- BHU Pre-PG7 products
- CCI3 products
- CUET PG3 products
- Daily Live Test Series2 products
- DDA-SO2 products
- E-Books17 products
- FCI7 products
- Free Course2 products
- Haryana ADO2 products
- IBPS-AFO10 products
- ICAR AIEEA UG3 products
- ICAR-JRF11 products
- ICAR-NET6 products
- ICAR-SRF6 products
- IFFCO6 products
- JNV1 product
- MCAER PG CET4 products
- NABARD4 products
- Rajasthan Pre-PG5 products
- RRB-SO4 products
- UOCATET3 products